Saturday, March 29, 2008

 

Boxing

Thursday was a day of fond memories for me. Not that I knew it was Thursday mind you I had lost a day somewhere and I thought it was Wednesday all damn day, but I digress. Thursday there absolutely nothing good on TV when I happened to stumble upon ESPN Classic and they were replaying all three of the Bowe vs Holyfield fights from the 90's.

I had forgotten what good boxing was all about. If you aren't a boxing fan well just click away and go about your day, because this is as good as it has been for 15 years.

If you are like me and enjoy watching boxing, or at least did enjoy watching boxing before it became so much of a three ring circus and pay per view ass poundery.

Riddick "Big Daddy" Bowe was and still is one of my favorite boxers. He beat the seemingly unbeatable Evander Holyfield TWICE, two out of three times Bowe knocked him out cold, the last one was amazing. I think if he hadn't fucked up so ad in his personal life, and got sent to jail he would have been one of the greatest heavy weights in recent history. And I'm not trying to take anything away from Evander, he was amazing, even old he whipped some ass, but he did get knocked the fuck out twice by Big Daddy.

but the best part of these two fighters was the fact that they stood toe to toe in the middle of the ring and pound each other until the other one dropped. There was no running and no hanging on each other and none of the bullshit that you see in todays fighting, and THAT is the true test of a fighter in my opinion.

I was going to post a bunch of you tube clips here but if you're a fan you remember the fights, and if you don't I don't want to spoil it for you. But most boxing analysts agree that the 10 round in the second fight is one of the top 10 best rounds of boxing in the history of the sport.

So if your so inclined go to you tube and watch some great boxing. I was so jazzed when this was on that I sat on the couch twitching with every punch thrown. I just love watching a good bout.

Oh and he also had two BRUTAL buts with that cheating Polack Andrew Golota, both fights lost due to him throwing low blows that busted Riddick's nuts up into tiny little marbles.



<< Home