Tuesday, June 20, 2006

 

Willie Nelson has nothing on me!!

Dear Blog,

I know it has been a while since I have been here to write you a message but my days and nights have been filled with work. It all started 3 weeks ago when I decided to lend my assistance to a fellow co-worker and friend on a big project. There was a lot of late nights and heavy lifting involved. I was very tired. Then the shit hit the fan and I was standing in front of it.

My co-worker decided to leave the company. He did this by leaving his cell phone and the keys to the exhibit on his desk the day before the job was to ship out. I do not begrudge him his leaving I do however wish the timing could have been a little better. I also wish he would have called me. I did what I could over the last three weeks and worked my ass off for this project, I was a little shocked, OK I was a lot shocked but I didn’t have time for anger, or despair, I just knew that we as a company needed to get the project out the door and on the road.

So I and a handful of other dumbassed “company” men stayed yet again past one thirty (we started at 6am on the morning of June 12th) and we redesigned some packing crates and cut to fit some others and we got the project on the road by 2am Tuesday morning.

I went home to catch a nap because I was scheduled to fly out Wednesday at 7am to help assemble the newly renamed “clusterfuck”. So we flew to Detroit. I think that the Pilot of this particular Southwest flight was a HUGE fan of the 60’s dance craze the “Hokey Pokey”, because when he was landing it seemed that he put the right wing in and he put the right wing out and then he shook it all about and we hit the ground at about the exact same speed that we were cruising at….something like 400 knots. I just knew that we were about to find out if the hokey pokey “IS” what it is all about.

I then got to experience a three day tour of hell as we field tested our exhibit. Shockingly enough some of the software was not ready to be used and abused by the general redneck public. I also found out that “needs to last three years” is designer code for “Really fucking heavy”.

So as I was helping the temps get shit unloaded I found out that even though I’m almost 40 and like 50 pounds heavier then I would like to be, (which is still 70 pounds fatter than normal people) I can still out lift, out work and carrier heavier things than kids ½ my age. I also figured out that when I make a discovery like that I tend to get pissed off at the kids because THAT SHOULDN’T HAPPEN!! Everything in my being says that 18-25 year old kids should be able to lift a 200 lb object and move it 50 feet.

I guess everyone in my life is right….I will admit that I finally see what they mean when they say “You don’t know your own strength”…. I guess I really don’t.

So we get it set up and ready for the first day’s exhibit, and we finally get to bed around 1am.

The first day we had the place open for 45 minutes before the powers that be shut it down due to none of the technology working properly. We stay, well some of us stay I don’t write code or program computers I pick up heavy things, so I didn’t have to stay until 3am.


Jesus this is getting long.

I haven’t even got to the part where our CEO flew up in a private “state of the art” new plane who’s fuel pump went out an hour and a half away from where they were supposed to be and in the wrong direction and we…again not me…had to go get them, I did have to take them back to the plane 3 days later and in doing so missed the last flight out of Detroit…Bouby was PISSED!

But anyway I have to fly to Milwaukee tomorrow to make some well thought out adjustments and to continue as the onsite supervisor for the exhibit. For 4 more days then it comes to the Kansas Speedway and we will be making a TON of adjustments.

I didn’t get the opportunity to snap any mullet pics, or any cool rednectivity, but I will try real hard to do that in Milwaukee.

If you are in Milwaukee and like NASCAR well just stay at home or you may find yourself here, on the electronic pages of my blog and I will blackmail you if I catch you doing any crazy rednecktivity.



<< Home